Monday, May 2, 2016

Pregnancy Update: Baby #2, 24 Weeks


Mama - 25w, 5d; MC 3y, 10m; and Daisy


How far along? Picture taken at 25w, 5 days. We missed the official 24 week picture, but I didn't want to go all the way until 28 weeks without a picture. 

Size of baby? Ear of corn - 8.5 inches crown to rump, 1.25 pounds. Development-wise, Baby Sister can now hold her feet and curl her hand into a fist. The components that form her spine - 33 rings, 150 joints, and 1000 ligaments - are beginning to form. And blood vessels are beginning to form in her lungs. (Whew! No wonder I am exhausted most days - growing all of those body parts is a lot of work!)

Weight gain/loss? +8 as of my most recent OB appointment. Most people still comment on how "small" I am, but I was actually measuring a few days ahead at my 25 week exam. (I just smile because I realize that is meant to be compliment, but c'mon people! Keep the body-appearance comments to yourself.)

Maternity clothes? Yes, I'm wearing maternity clothes for pretty much everything except PJs.

Stretch marks? Still none so far! My pregnancy book says if I'm going to get them they usually appear around 26 weeks.

Sleep? Pretty good lately. I still go to bed early but I'm able to make it through most days without napping. Sometimes I am awake quite a bit in the middle of the night and sometimes I sleep through the whole night (minus bathroom breaks) - this tends to go in cycles for me: several nights of being awake followed by several nights of uninterrupted sleep.

Best moment this week? I passed the 1 hr glucose screening! Which means I don't have to take the longer 3 hour challenge (and no gestational diabetes, obv). And, semi-related, this picture is too cute not to share...MC stayed with my neighbor during my appointment, since I knew between the test and regular check-up we'd be waiting for over an hour at the doctor's office. She sent me this picture of her boys, ages 6 and 3, having a push-up contest to impress MC.


We are so lucky to be surrounded by several neighbors with whom we have developed close friendships - both for the adults and kids.


Food cravings/aversions? Still not big on anything sweet, but the food situation has improved a bit which is a nice change for me. I'm getting to the point where I feel very full after eating a small amount so I'm still eating frequent, small meals. MC and I picked strawberries this week, so we made angel food cake, and I've been enjoying pieces of cake topped with fresh strawberries & whipped cream. Oh, and I did pull the Pregnancy Card and send BD to the grocery store at 9pm one night for a fresh gallon of milk and a box of Golden Grahams cereal.

Gender? Girl.

Belly button in or out? In, but getting shallow.

Movement? Yes, all the time. Several times she moved so much it has woken me up early in the mornings (and then, in turn, I wake BD up and make him feel her...because at this point I shouldn't be the only one up early, right?!). :) I've had a couple of times where I can see my belly move from the outside when she rolls around in there. Even though sometimes the movements can feel pretty intense (not exactly pain but sharp nonetheless), this is by far one of my favorite parts of pregnancy.

What I miss? Bending over comfortably to tie my shoes. Also, picking strawberries at almost 6 months pregnant was a bit more challenging than I was prepared for.

What I'm looking forward to? This doesn't seem baby related, but it actually is...we are having another bathroom built upstairs in our house. Once it is complete, it will mean our guests won't have to walk across the house to use the bathroom and won't have to share a bathroom with the girls -- more convenient for everyone. (And should also increase resale value of the house in the future.) We have signed the contract with our builder and are starting to pick out fixtures, so that project will be underway soon. 

How's Mommy feeling? I have been battling cold/allergies and infected ears for over a month now. I've been on 2 rounds of antibiotics in 3 weeks to try and get rid of the ear infections. I saw an ENT last week who confirmed that my ears are clear for now. So we know for sure that the abx did work, and hopefully the infection won't return this time. Other than that issue, I am tired a lot and still having semi-frequent nausea. But I do feel like my emotions/mood swings have evened out a bit lately, which is a welcome change.

How's Daddy feeling? Glad that the storage room and Baby Sister's room are cleaned out and nearly ready for paint.

Milestones? Baby Sister has a "real" name now! We've told most of our families and our close friends, so that is very exciting. (Of course once she is born, I will refer to her as her first & middle initial here on the blog, but for now she will remain Baby Sister.) We've done a ton of cleaning out and organizing in our storage spaces. We've picked a paint color for Baby Sister's room, and BD will get started on that soon. We've also ordered the glider & ottoman for her room and that will be here in a few weeks. Things will still be a bit crazy while the new bathroom is under construction - furniture will have to be shifted around between various rooms, but it still feels like we've made some progress toward being prepared for her arrival.

No comments: