Friday, March 4, 2016

Pregnancy Update: Baby #2, 16 Weeks


 (We had just returned from eating Mexican food when BD took this picture, so this bump is half baby and half burrito - haha!)



How far along? Picture taken at 16w, 6d

Size of baby? Avocado - 4.5 inches long, 3.5 oz

Weight gain/loss? +1 from my pre-pregnancy weight at my OB appointment 2 weeks ago. I'd guess I'm probably up another pound or two since then, especially now that I'm keeping down most of the food I eat.

Maternity clothes? Just one pair of maternity jeans - all of my "comfy" pre-preg pants (yoga, sweats) and pre-preg tops still fit.

Stretch marks? No, I never got them with MC so fingers crossed that I'm that lucky once again!

Sleep? Eh, kind of hit or miss for good sleep at night. Just this week, I have been able to make it through a few days without napping while MC naps. Up until this point, I would pass out on the couch every day until she woke me up by calling for me over the monitor. Usually nap time is when I get the majority of the housework done, so you can just imagine the lovely state of our house. 

Best moment this month? We heard baby's heartbeat at my OB appointment a few weeks ago - that is always a fun and reassuring thing at this early stage of pregnancy. This week has been the first week that I have had more "good" days than "bad" days (i.e. less nausea and vomiting), so it is really nice to feel somewhat human again.

Food cravings/aversions? Ugh, food is a huge struggle for me again with this pregnancy. I need to eat about every 2 hours to keep from vomiting but it is so awful to have to basically force feed myself when I am nauseous and feel gross. Nothing ever sounds good and yet I know I have to eat or it will get worse. And I have an anti-sweet tooth - anything with sugar makes me feel terrible. Peanut butter is the sweetest thing I can tolerate, and even that sometimes leaves a gross taste in my mouth.

Gender? I will be 36 when this baby is born, so I am considered to be of "advanced" maternal age. As a result, our insurance will pay for more advanced diagnostic testing at an early stage of pregnancy. Around 11 weeks, I did a blood test (informaSeq) to scan for many of the most common genetic issues and they can also determine the sex of the baby. So we have known for several weeks already that baby is a GIRL!

Belly button in or out? In.

Movement? Some infrequent flutters but no real movement yet.

What I miss? I miss enjoying my food and not having to eat a million times a day. I miss sweets especially. I miss having enough energy to get through the day without being completely wiped out by bedtime. I miss my regular early morning workout/running routine.

What I'm looking forward to? We have an ultrasound coming up in a few weeks. This will be the first time we've seen her on ultrasound since the viability confirmation at 6 weeks!

How's Mommy feeling? Pregnancy is just not a very fun time for me personally. I physically don't feel well; I have mood swings, and I have no energy. I am thrilled to be pregnant, and so thankful that both Baby Sister and I are healthy, but I can honestly say that I am glad this is the last time I will be pregnant.

How's Daddy feeling? [I always ask BD to answer this question himself and then I transcribe his answers here, so I am not putting words in his mouth.] Daddy is doing fine. Daddy is ready to pick out a name. (We have a list of first name contenders and a leading choice for middle name.) And he's ready to decide about which bedroom will Baby Sister's room.

Milestones? Finding out gender, getting clean results back from all the genetic testing, hearing the heartbeat.


1 comment:

Holly said...

Great pictures!