Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Thanksgiving Books for Preschoolers

Since I am not a huge fan of reading holiday books year round, I usually check out seasonal books from our local library. We read them for a few weeks, and by the time I'm tired of them, they're due back at the library!  

However, this year I didn't find many Thanksgiving library books available that were age appropriate for MC, so I purchased a few to add to our home library.

I also didn't have a lot of luck when I googled for recommendations for Thanksgiving books for the preschool age range, so I thought I'd post the ones we've been reading this year in case anyone else is looking for holiday books.



For us Thanksgiving is a holiday where family and friends gather around a table full of good food and that is where this book starts. I like that the book includes different families and that it doesn't focus on the 1st Thanksgiving but about child-appropriate things to be thankful for -- parents who love them no matter their actions, for books, bright sunny days, hot chocolate, friends, etc!


Berenstain Bears books are kind of hit-or-miss for me, and some of them are a little dated. But we have really enjoyed this one! This one is a lift-the-flap book where the Berenstain family looks all around for Mr. Turkey and also find other seasonally-appropriate things (leaves falling off trees, geese flying south for winter).


We really love Fancy Nancy at our house, and this Thanksgiving version does not disappoint. My sister gave MC the first FN book, and we've since checked out all of the ones from our library. When I saw the Thanksgiving one, I knew MC would love it. FN is up to all her usual tricks in this book - using (and explaining) some big words and throwing in a little French for good measure.


This is our first Pete the Cat book, and it is also a lift-the-flap book. This one has the most historical information about the 1st Thanksgiving, told as Pete stars in his school's Thanksgiving play. (According to the Amazon reviews, people didn't like this book because it's not "typical" Pete the Cat. That wasn't an issue for us, since we weren't already Pete fans, but just FYI.)

No comments: