Monday, June 16, 2014

MC's 2nd Birthday Party

We celebrated MC's second birthday at home with friends and family on the weekend before her birthday. Since she has a June birthday, I wanted to do a summer theme, so we decided to have an ice cream party.

So, naturally, the first thing I did was find a cute outfit for MC to wear! (Yep. Those are smocked ice cream cones. I know you're not really surprised, right?!)


We started with a simple ice cream themed invitation:


And then we started figuring out how we were going to make it happen. Even though I'm an introvert by nature, I actually love to plan and host parties. The hosting part is exhausting, but in the end I'm always glad we did it. BD and I make a pretty good party planning team. I like to come up with the theme and decoration ideas, and he is excellent at logistics, and usually even has some good, creative ideas up his sleeve.

I did not want to go Pinterest-budget-busting-overload on this party...it was, after all, a party for a 2 year old, but I did want our house to look fun and festive for the occasion. So I put on my best "use what I've already got around the house" hat, and got to work. Luckily, I am a pack rat when it comes to arts and crafts supplies, so I had quite a stash to work with!

First, I used some pink tissue pom poms to make ice cream cone garlands. One hung in the breakfast area, where we had the ice cream sundae bar set up, and one hung on the fireplace in the den.


Then I decided we needed something special on the front door, so I made a giant 3-D ice cream cone decoration.


Next I wanted to do a photo project with some photos of MC. I just covered an old bulletin board with craft paper for this, and free-handed the art and lettering.


In the dining room we had a few toddler-friendly, non-ice cream snacks. I used artificial flowers for the centerpieces and two additional pom pom ice cream cone decorations. BD made the paper chains for the chandelier - his first time ever making them! I told him that being a girl-dad was going to build up his arts and crafts muscles!

In the foyer we hung some polka-dot balloons on the banister, so it looked festive when people first walked in the front door.



The ice cream sundae bar was set up in the kitchen. We had three flavors of Blue Bell ice cream and a variety of toppings.




We made the first sundae for MC, and everyone gathered around and sang Happy Birthday to her. She wasn't quite sure of what to think about everyone staring at her, but she dug right into the ice cream! (It never dawned on me that I was supposed to put TWO candles in her sundae!!)


Luckily we had good weather during the party, so we had a few toys out in the backyard for the toddlers to play on. After you load them up with ice cream, they really need somewhere to run off the sugar!


It was a great little party - the perfect way to celebrate our sweet girl turning 2! Everyone seemed to have a good time at the party, and MC loved having all of her little friends over to play.

On her actual birthday, we went to gymnastics (her last Tumble Babies class!),


had cupcakes after nap time,



and opened a few presents!

No comments: