Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Yardwork and Camera Practice

BD was out in the yard doing some work on the flower beds recently, so I took the opportunity to get in some practice with my camera. It's always easier to concentrate on the camera when I have another set of eyes and hands available to supervise MC. These images are all sooc, no post processing. I'm shooting with my Canon Rebel T4i, with a  50mm f/1.8 lens in these shots. (I know the technical details are probably only interesting to camera people, but it's fun and helpful to do a self-critique!)

BD and MC are thinning and transplanting monkey grass; Mama is working on depth of field - I'm shooting at f/2.8 here, so pretty wide open. You can see BD is pretty much the only object in sharp focus - both the monkey grass and MC have a bit of blur. 


It was a sunny day but we were in a shaded part of the yard so the changing light conditions keep me on my toes. (ISO 100, f/2.8, 1/250)


Using the shutter to stop her motion as she runs. You can see a little blur on her hands but otherwise not much motion. I probably needed to be 2/3 to a full stop faster and would have gotten a sharper image. Plus, I cut off her feet! Rookie mistake!


We were on the deck in the shade, but that hat is still reflecting a ton of light! I'm glad it's protecting her from the sun, but with the reflection off the top and creating shade on her face, it makes a proper exposure almost impossible! (ISO 100, f/1.8, 1/1000 - shooting in Av here, camera set shutter speed really fast!)


No comments: