Thursday, October 3, 2013

MC's Eats {Munchkin Meals}

Today I'm linking up with Brittany over at A Healthy Slice of Life for her Munchkin Meals series. I always like to see what other mamas are feeding their babies, so I thought I'd join in the fun!

(This is about to become glaringly obvious, but I will go ahead and warn you that I am not a food photographer. So rest assured that most of this tastes better than it looks in these pictures!!)

'Everything in moderation' is my own personal food motto, and we are pretty much following that for MC's food as well. I try to be mindful of the fact that our current choices for her are setting habits and attitudes about food that she will carry with her for many years, so overall we are pretty careful about what she eats. By that I mean, I make most of her food from scratch and we try to avoid processed foods as much as reasonably possible without going overboard. I also read a book that I've mentioned here previously that has really helped us set the tone for mealtimes at our house.

At 15.5 months, MC nurses twice a day - first thing in the morning and last thing before bed at night. She usually eats a really good breakfast and supper but during the middle of the day she's more of a grazer; she'll eat a few bites of this or that but not too much of any one thing.

To save time, I make almost everything in batches ahead of time and freeze individual servings for later. I spend a couple of days every few weeks (or months, depending on the food) cooking and freezing muffins, marinara sauce, waffles, etc. and then I can just pull them out of the freezer and pop in the microwave or toaster.

Over the last week or so I took pictures of a few of her meals to share here. This is a pretty good representation of how much and what she eats on a regular basis.

Breakfast:

Oatmeal cooked in whole (cow's) milk, with ground flax seed, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and diced apples.

Have you tasted this stuff?? It's gooood!

Another breakfast option: scrambled eggs, grits with cheese, toast with butter, and orange slices.



Lunch:

Hard-boiled egg, cottage cheese, sweet grape tomatoes, and orange slices. (This is the grazing I mentioned earlier.)



A whole-wheat waffle and pureed strawberries for dipping.


Supper:

Chicken/apple/cheese muffin, lima beans roasted in olive oil and S&P, and blueberries.


This is supposed to be spaghetti, but we were out of noodles, so this is actually brown rice, marinara sauce, and lean ground beef with a side of peas and carrots.


Snack:

Banana slices with peanut butter.


Homemade graham crackers with peach yogurt (we like the Stonyfield organic YoBaby line).


What has your kiddo been eating lately? Head on over to A Healthy Slice of Life to share!

1 comment:

sil said...

thanks for the suggestions & links!
my baby is 12 mos on wednesday and she still eats food from a jar, but we are introducing more real food now. she really loves eggs and avocado!