Thursday, August 23, 2012

Outtakes

I decided to attempt to capture some photos of MC to use on her birth announcments. I know nothing about the technical aspect of photography, and all we have is a point-and-shoot digital camera. So I knew the chances of me getting great photos were pretty slim. Despite all of that, I thought that having a mini-photo shoot with her sounded fun so I decided to give it a try.

"Well this is awkward..."

I set up a make-shift photo studio in her nursery because it gets good natural light, and I picked out a few things to use as props.


 "Baby mugshot!"

I took the photos over a course of several hours throughout the day because she would get tired and need a break.

 "My patience is wearing thin with this experiment..."

She was 7 weeks old in these photos, which was almost too late for newborn photos. She was so alert and aware that it was hard to capture those cuddly, sleepy newborn images I had in mind.

"Oh, you wanted cuddly, sleepy newborn photos? How about if I cry instead?" 

I would get her positioned just like I wanted and step back to take the photo, only to have her turn her head or flail an arm. I ended up with a lot of photos that were great except for a big blurry spot where she was wiggling her feet or hands.

"Okay, fine. I'll sleep. But only in a really awkward position." 

I had fun with our mini-photo shoot, but now I know why professional photographers charge an arm and a leg for newborn photo sessions...it's not easy to capture those beautiful images!

"Whew! Being a model is such hard work!"

After taking a ton of photos, I ended up with a handful of good choices. Here are the ones we actually used in the announcment.



2 comments:

Pickles and Dimes said...

She's so cute! The first photo made me laugh out loud. I love the last two pictures the best. So sweet.

georgi said...

Talk about photogenic...wow...what a great lil' model!