Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Fresh Strawberry Pie


We've had such a mild winter and warm spring that the NC strawberries are already in season; this is about four to six weeks earlier than usual. There are lots of local u-pick farms, but since it is getting more and more difficult every day to reach my toes, I just bought a couple of pounds from the grocery when they were on sale last week. I went a little overboard with the 4lb/$6 sale, so I knew I better find a way to use a lot of them before they went bad.

 Have you guys ever had the Strawberry Pie at Shoney's? I decided to recreate that pie.


Here is the recipe I used:

Ingredients:
*1 (9-inch) pie crust, baked and cooled
*3 pts. strawberries, hulled (5 cups)
*1 C sugar
*3 TBSP cornstarch
*1 TBSP lemon juice
*1/2 tsp. almond extract
 

Place 1/2 strawberries in a saucepan.  Mash, add sugar and cornstarch.  Cook slowly, stirring constantly for 5 minutes until thick.  Stir in lemon juice and almond extract.  Let stand to cool.  Add remaining whole berries.  Pour into pie shell.  Top with whipped cream.  Chill.


No comments: