Friday, May 11, 2012

Bread in a Jar

I recently used this recipe for Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bread in a Jar to give as hostess gifts for a baby shower that was thrown for Poppy Seed.

I love to give "food in a jar" gifts. It's a homemade gift that the recipient can use and enjoy at their convenience. And who doesn't like having fresh bread in the house??  

You need quart-sized canning jars. I had to buy a case, but the entire case was only $10 at the local hardware store.

Wash the jars and let them air dry. Well, you can dry them by hand, but I'm too lazy for that - I just let them air dry.


I had all the ingredients on-hand - pretty standard baking staples: flour, sugar, brown sugar, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, chocolate chips, and chopped nuts (I used pecans).


Fill the jars according to the measurements in the recipe. If you can find wide-mouthed jars it will make them easier to fill. Or you can just use a funnel (or a make-shift funnel, in my case).


Use some pretty fabric (I actually used patterned paper napkins) to cover the jar lids.



Add a tag with directions, and you have a quick and easy gift worth giving.

1 comment:

Alice said...

so cute! i've been meaning to come up with an excuse/reason to do recipes-in-a-jar for a while...