Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Oatmeal Lemon Cream Bars

I know it's hard to believe that I am actually watching my sugar intake like I claim to be, especially if you make and try this recipe for yourself. I admit I have had one small square of these bars, and then I have tried to forget that they exist...they are so good, I could eat the entire pan by myself. Luckily, BD likes lemon desserts, so he has put a big dent in these by himself.

Oatmeal Lemon Cream Bars

All you need is oatmeal cookie mix, sweetened condensed milk, butter, a lemon (that's lemon zest in the ramekin and lemon juice in the measuring cup), and an egg.


Cut the butter into the cookie dough with a fork and then add the egg. The dough will be really crumbly and sticky.


This is a layered bar, so you press half of the cookie dough mixture into the bottom of an 8" square pan and bake for 15 minutes.

While the bottom layer is baking, mix up the lemon cream filling: sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice, and zest. I didn't get the full 1/4 cup of juice that it calls for in the recipe from the lemon; I just filled in the rest with bottled lemon juice I had in the fridge. (Tip: If you press and roll the lemon on the counter before squeezing it, you'll get more juice!)


After the bottom layer is pre-baked, you spread the lemon mixture and then sprinkle the rest of the cookie dough on top. I forgot to snap a pre-oven assembled picture but here's a shot of it in the oven.

Here is it, fresh out of the oven, golden brown on top, and smelling like warm oatmeal cookies. YUM!



BD sliced it before it was all the way cooled, so it was a little crumbly, but you can see the layers.

No comments: