Monday, March 19, 2012

Take 5 Pie

Have you ever heard of a Take 5 candy bar? I've come to the realization that not many people are aware of it, and I am here to remedy that situation. It is one of my favorites - pretzels, caramel, peanuts, peanut butter - all dipped in milk chocolate. YUMMM!

And, as far as candy bars go, it's not too terrible for you.


So when I saw this recipe, I knew I had to make it ASAP.

It starts with crushed pretzels for the crust. I didn't crush mine as fine as it said in the recipe; I wanted it to maintain some pretzel pieces.



Next you melt peanut butter and pour that in the bottom of the pretzel crust.


Then you make a batch of homemade caramel. (I've made homemade caramel lots of times; it isn't nearly as intimidating as you would think - it's actually quite easy!)


I wasn't patient enough to let the caramel set up all the way, so when I poured it on top of the melted peanut butter, it mixed together instead of forming another layer.

Sprinkle coarsely chopped peanuts over the caramel layer.


And then top the whole thing with melted semi-sweet chocolate. It needs to chill in the fridge for several hours to set.



I would recommend taking it out of the fridge and letting it return to room temp before trying to slice it or eat it. This piece was too cold when BD cut it, so it didn't make a very good picture.



I'm watching my sugar intake, so I actually didn't eat a piece of this (yes, I have an iron will power sometimes). BD said the chocolate layer was too hard/thick when the pie was straight out of the fridge.

I left it out at room temperature, and then next day he liked it better. Although he still thought the chocolate layer was a little too thick. The recipe calls for 10oz of melted chocolate; I think maybe 8oz or even 6oz would be better.

1 comment:

teg said...

Good lord if I lived with you I'd be a cow - all of your baking creations make me drool!