Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happy St. Patrick's Day

I was looking for a theme dessert to make for St. Patrick's Day and ran across this recipe for Grasshopper Fudge Cake that my mom had pinned.

BD loves Andes mints, so I knew this would be a big hit at our house.
  


You make the white cake mix as directed on the box plus some mint extract, but reserve 1 cup of batter for the green swirls.



I didn't drag the knife deep enough into the batter when I was making the swirls, so the green didn't get all the way through the cake.


But you still get the St. Patrick's Day green effect.


The recipe called for two 16oz jars of hot fudge, but that seemed like it was going to be too much, so I just used one.



Green dye plus a little more mint extract goes into the whipped topping for the last layer.



I chopped up the Andes mints for garnish.



This was actually a dry-run for BD's co-worker's birthday cake that I'm making for Monday. When I remake it, I'll make sure to swirl the batter all the way down through the cake, and I think I will put less (or maybe none) mint extract in the whipped topping.

No comments: