Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Turkey...It's Not Just for Thanksgiving Anymore

If you would have asked me yesterday I would have told you that I'd never cooked a turkey. Nope, not even for Thanksgiving. We usually do something non-traditional for Thanksgiving, or we call up our friends at the Honeybaked Ham Co. 

Today I could tell you that I can cook a mighty fine turkey in the slow cooker.


I did a 5lb turkey breast in our 6qt slow cooker.

Here's the down and birdy:

(get it?! instead of down and dirty?! hahaha! I kill me!)

(1) Defrost the turkey for 24 hrs (or so) in the fridge, then pat dry with paper towels

(2) Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place in slow cooker

(3) Chop an onion (I used yellow) and stuff a few in the rib cavity and put the rest around the turkey

(4) Pour in 2 cups of white wine and 1 stick of butter

That's it!


I cooked it on low for 8 hours, and it was perfectly done when we got home from work. And, the house smelled delicious!


The meat practically fell off the bone when BD tried to slice it.


I'm not so great with the food photo staging, obviously, but you get the point. We ate this with mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli with cheese sauce.

recipe source

1 comment:

Bobo said...

mmmm...now this is yummy..keep up the good work!