Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Lemon Cheesecake

Since my s'mores cheesecake was such a hit a few weeks ago, I thought I'd give cheesecake another try. I looked in my America's Test Kitchen Baking cookbook for a plain New York style cheesecake. BD was peeking over my shoulder and spied a recipe for lemon cheesecake.

Can you guess which one I ended up making?

This one has crust made from animal crackers instead of the typical graham cracker crust.



The recipe had a bunch of fussy instructions about cooking the cheesecake in a water bath -- in the springform pan inside of a roasting pan filled with hot water. I didn't have a roasting pan big enough to hold the springform pan anyway, so I skipped that part and just baked it directly in the springform pan.

I baked it for less time than the recipe instructed, and it came out perfectly after about an hour.



The cheesecake batter has lemon juice in it, and it also has a fresh lemon curd topping. I've never made any type of curd before, but this one was easy enough to do. It refrigerated while the cheesecake cooled.


I let both the cheesecake and the lemon curd chill in the fridge overnight. The cheesecake top cracked a little as it cooled.



After I spread the topping, it went back into the refrigerator for several hours. This probably wasn't necessary since it has already chilled overnight, but I wanted to be certain that the cheesecake was set.

It was finally ready to eat so I removed the springform pan. The sides had browned up nicely when it baked.



I was a little worried about the texture because I had used reduced fat cream cheese, but it was perfect!

How come the first slice of pie never comes out looking good? It may not have looked pretty, but it tasted pretty delicious!! The cheesecake is rich and creamy and the lemon curd has just enough tangy to make a good balance to the sweetness.

4 comments:

Tracy said...

that looks really good!!! i love cheesecake.

teg said...

Not a big cheesecake fan, but I love most anything lemon. Looks tasty!

BreastFeeding Top Shop said...

This recipe looks good. My son who is 15 enjoys cooking with me and we were just talking about cooking a desert but we couldn't think of one and I had no cook books for deserts. I came across your blog and I think we are going to try this cheesecake. It looks really good. And we could use something sweet and tangy. Thanks

Website Design Services said...

Hi,
I am really appreciate the information which you discussed here in your blog which is really good read to me.

Thanks for sharing!