Sunday, August 14, 2011

Beach Souvenir

When we were on vacation on Hilton Head Island last month, BD found two sand dollars in the ocean. I had never seen live sand dollars, so I was excited!

Live sand dollars look nothing like the beautiful white sand dollar shells that you see in souvenir shops, so I had to google to find out what to do with them.

The process for preserving the shells was pretty easy - first we soaked them in fresh water. We did this at the condo while we were still at the beach.


We brought them home with us in a ziplock bag, and the next step is to soak them in diluted bleach.



They didn't come completely clean, so this took a few repetitions.


Finally they were completely white. They are really fragile, so BD coated them with diluted glue to make them a little stronger.


Then we had to figure out what to do with them. We had a self-portrait that we took on the beach, so I thought it would be cute to display them together.

I found a shadow box frame at the crafts store, but it was only available in black or dark brown -- not a very beachy color.

Time for the magic of spray paint!





After the frame was painted (Rustoleum brand in Lagoon from Home Depot, if you're interested), I arranged the picture and sand dollars on the mat.

I wrote the location and date on the smaller sand dollar, so we could remember where it came from and then assembled everything together.

It's living on the mantle for now until I decide on a permanent location.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Cute! I like the way it turned out, and I love that you have something you can display that will easily and frequently remind you of a fun and relaxing time. I may have to borrow the idea when we go in September :)

Holly said...

very cute and creative!