Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Yummy AND Delicious

BD and I have been watching DVR'd episodes of America's Test Kitchen. We saw an episode where they made a coconut layer cake, and BD was instantly smitten. BD's grandmother makes an excellent coconut cake that everyone in the family raves about, so I knew I had to try this recipe to see how it compares to Nonnie's.


I pulled out my ATK Family Baking cookbook and found the recipe. It took me a few days to gather up all of the necessary ingredients (come to find out, my local grocery store doesn't carry cake flour OR coconut extract - argh!), but by this weekend I had everything on hand.


As usual, with all of the testing that goes into their recipes, this one was full of tips on how to make sure it turned out perfectly. The recipe was straight-forward and easy to follow.


And it really did turn out well!


I am not a big fan of coconut, but even I think this cake is excellent.


I chose to toast the coconut before topping the cake with it to add a little more color and bring out the nutty flavor.


BD raved about this and has been secretly eating pieces for breakfast in the mornings.

No comments: