Thursday, March 10, 2011

Bringing LA Flavor to NC

For the last several years, I've made king cake for my co-workers. It's fun here because king cake is very uncommon so everyone is really excited and impressed with it.


This year I did a filling of brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. I think toasted pecans would also be good, but I didn't think of that until it was too late.


I don't hide a baby because I can't find them here. I've tried to order them online, but they only come in lots of 250. Seeing as I only make one or two king cakes a year, it would take me a while to use them all. Besides, it doesn't matter who got the baby, I'm still the one bringing the cake next time.


This year I also attempted to make moon pies, which are a lesser known Mardi Gras treat. But I messed up the dough and the cookies turned out puffy instead of flat.

The cookies need to be thin and flat to stack correctly when you put the marshmallow filling in between. I was supposed to roll out the dough and use cutters to make flat circles. The dough was really sticky and I got frustrated because my circles kept getting mishapen when I tried to move them from the counter to the tray. So instead I used a cookie scoop which worked better, except I didn't think to flatten out the dough balls before baking.

Oh well. No one here even associates Moon Pies with Mardi Gras so I might just try them again and no one will know that they are "out of season." Who am I kidding...it's cookies with marshmallow filling covered in chocolate...no one would care even if they did know!!

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Wow, that looks really good!!! Too bad I don't work where you work... :)

Alice said...

mmmm i haven't had a king cake in years and years! i wish my coworkers would make one! :)