Monday, January 31, 2011

Tales of the Tail: Same Song, Second Verse Surgery

Alternate title: Kip Can't Catch a Break

Kip started limping on his right leg late last week. Crossing our fingers that it was just a strain, we started him on anti-inflamatory meds last Monday. He seemed to respond to the meds, so we relaxed a little, hopeful that we weren't going to have a repeat TPLO surgery on our hands. Our luck didn't last long and on Thursday night Kip ruptured his right knee CCL (the equivalent of our ACL).

We were able to get in to see the specialist that did his left knee surgery on Friday, and he was able to perform the surgery on the same day. The surgery went well. Kip came home on Saturday, and we began the long recovery process.

We had been warned by both the specialist and our regular vet that it was statistically very likely that this would happen, but as each month passed without incident I was able to convince myself more and more that we were going to escape that fate. It was 13 months (almost to the day) between the two injuries.

So far, this surgery has been much, much more difficult on him and us than the previous one. We are having a hard time getting him comfortable, even though we are giving him the max dose of pain meds every 8 hours. As a result, he is not resting as he should, and neither are we. It is currently 3:00am as I type this, and for the moment he's sleeping in my lap as I sit on the floor. BD is sleeping next to us on a pallet made out of couch cushions. We weren't able to get Kip to sleep until around 6:30am last night, so I'm trying to take the fact that he was asleep at 2:30am tonight as a good sign. I am also trying to keep a grip on my rapidly slipping sanity, if you couldn't guess.

He's currently on 2 pain meds (a narcotic and an NSAID) and an antibiotic. As a fun bonus, I think the antibiotic may be upsetting his stomach because he keeps farting on me while he's sleeping. Even if I were able to sleep with a 75 pound dog in my lap, the smell alone is enough to keep me wide awake.

I'll keep you posted on our progress. Hopefully each day is going to get better.


Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear this (for your sake and for Kip's) - I know how stressful it can be when a pet is sick. I mean, they're our babies!

Nikki said...

Poor Kip! You know this is just practice for parenting, huh? ;)

Tracy said...

Oh, I'm so sorry... that is no fun. I hope he gets on the mend soon, for his sake and yours!

kay said...

I just ran across your blog a few weeks ago. So sorry to hear your Kip is having such a hard time, lucky fur-baby that he has such good parents. Good luck to you all.

teg said...

Poor Kip! I am so sorry. Dealing with the acute pain/discomfort of a pet can be immensely difficult. I hope his condition turns around to the positive soon. Thinking of you!!!