Friday, November 19, 2010

Yum-O!

Rachael Ray has a new cookbook out, and recently our local newspaper reviewed it and included the recipe for shepherd's pie stuffed potatoes in the article. The recipe looked delicious but too time consuming for a weeknight supper, so last weekend I tried it out.

I coated the potatoes in Ms. Ray's favorite -- EVOO! -- and salt, and baked them in the oven for an hour.


Sauteeing the veggies - red bell pepper, mushrooms, onion. BD was helping me, and he never follows recipes exactly (much to my consternation -- remember, I'm a baker at heart!). The mushrooms were supposed to be cooked later with the beef, but he went rogue and cooked them with the other veggies. What can I say? He's wild and crazy like that.

Shredded Gouda cheese goes in the stuffing. The recipe only calls for 1 cup of shredded gouda. I recommend you go ahead and shred up however much you bought because some of it will end up in your mouth everything tastes better with more cheese.



After the potatoes cooled off a bit, I scooped out the insides to use for the stuffing. I thought this was going to be hard to do without tearing the potato skins, but I didn't have any problems.

The potato gets mashed together with the veggies, sour cream, cheese, and spices (salt, pepper, smoked paprika) to make the stuffing.

BD browned the ground beef then made a gravy with butter, flour, worcestershire, and soy in the same skillet.

My friend Amber informed me that if Shepherd's Pie is made with beef (instead of lamb) it is actually called Cottage Pie. I told her she'd have to take that up with Rachael Ray.


The ground beef mixture goes into the shells first.

And then is topped with the stuffing and more cheese.


The whole thing gets broiled in the oven for a few minutes and then it's ready to serve. Final verdict: a fun twist on a classic and delicious!

1 comment:

JC said...

Looks yummy!
Have a happy thanksgiving.