Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sunday Stitches: A Finished Project

I picked up my most recent cross stitch project from the framer's yesterday. I am sorry that these pictures don't really do it justice; I think this is my favorite piece I've done so far. Which is a total change of heart because when I finally finished stitching it, I didn't really like it at all. But I had so much time invested in it I decided to go ahead and have it framed. I am so glad I had it framed; the framing really makes the whole piece.


The fabric is a hand-dyed raspberry jobelan, so there are many color variations throughout the piece, but overall it is a bright pinky peach color.

I had it double matted with a lighter green underneath a darker green that picks up on some of the colors in the background. The frame is a distressed black.


This is the H.D. Thoreau quote "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." The letters vary from pink to red to black. I used a hand dyed thread, so there is a lot of variation throughout the letters as well.


The rectangle boxes in the background are blues and greens. Those rectangles are the reason I thought I didn't like this piece when I finished it. There were just so many of them, and I got so bored stitching it! I think I counted 90 rectangles total. It felt like I stitched rectangles forever!
I initially started this piece in January, but it got put on hold due to my last semester of grad school. I picked it up again in May and finally finished it in October.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Wow, that is incredible and looks like it was quite a challenge! You are so dedicated to the stitching!!! How many have you done total?

House of Sykes said...

Where do you find these kinds of patterns? I love to cross stitch and would love to have something "modern" in our home...

LA and BD said...

Thanks! I think this was my 8th piece.

My favorite online resource is 123stitch.com. I like the modern patterns, too -- no "samplers" for me!

This particular pattern is a Monsterbubbles design; I also like Lizzie Kate and Cross Eyed Cricket. The piece I am currently working on is a Raise the Roof design.