Monday, October 25, 2010

NC State Fair 2010

BD and I made it back to the NC State Fair this year after a two year hiatus due to grad school. I was excited to get back and see what was new. Apparently everyone else was excited as well because the attendance record had been broken every day for the first few days of the fair. I am not a fan of huge crowds, so we went on a mid-week afternoon in hopes that it wouldn't be quite so crowded. Our plan worked perfectly and was aided by rain showers earlier in the day. It remained cloudy and cool for the afternoon -- perfect state fair weather.

Here is BD as a sweet little bumblebee in the flower and garden exhibit.


I posed with the Barrel Monster. The guy who creates these is a bit of a local legend. He originally got in trouble for making these out of construction barrels, but they were so popular that now he's being commissioned to create them.


We saw lots of oversized produce. The first place pumpkin weighed in at 864 pounds!


We saw expensive livestock. This goat sold for $3,000.

We tried a pineapple lemonade. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but this was just fresh squeezed lemonade with canned chunks of pineapple. It was really good though!



We each had a fried candy bar. I had Milky Way; BD had Snickers. The fried candy bar is hands down my favorite part of the fair. The best $4 I spent!


This "treat" we didn't try...the Krispy Kreme burger...a hamburger patty between two glazed doughnuts. Ummmm...no thanks. I also saw signs for Kool Aid pickles, but I wasn't brave enough to try those either.
And my second favorite part of the fair: the pig races!

4 comments:

Pickles and Dimes said...

Oh - the pig races! So cute!

That Krispy Kreme burger makes me slightly ill. :)

Katie said...

I am so bummed that I didn't see the Barrel Monsters! I love them!

We also weren't brave enough to try the KK Burger or the Kool Aid pickle... I wonder how many people were?

Kathiey said...

It looks like you had a great time at the fair. We went too. I just put a post about about the food if you want to check it out.
The pineapple lemonade sounds wonderful. We didn't see that.
I have been to the fair in NC many times but have not seen the pig races. Maybe next year we will give that a try.
Thanks for your post
Kathiey:-)

cdogzilla said...

I can't believed I missed Barrel Monster!