Monday, September 13, 2010

Almost A Success

Today I attempted to make cinnamon rolls. I have been craving cinnamon rolls for several weeks. Last weekend in Atlanta our hotel was across the street from a mall that had a Cinnabon, so on Sunday afternoon BD and I split one for a snack. It was so warm and gooey and delicious that I knew I had to try to recreate the experience at home.

Things were going well at first. The dough was easy enough to mix up, and it was rising as expected.



I mixed up the filling - brown sugar, cinnamon, and (lots of) butter.


This is where things started to go downhill. The dough was really sticky, so it kept sticking to the countertop as I tried to roll it up. I had rolled it out pretty thin, so the dough was tearing and filling was spilling out everywhere.


By the time I finally got it rolled up and cut out, I was so frustrated that I totally forgot that I was supposed to let the dough rise again!! I, of course, did not realize this until they had baked for 15 minutes. I turned on the oven light to check the progress, and they were not puffy at all. I just stared at them for a second trying to figure out what was the problem, and it suddenly dawned on me that I skipped the second rising completely. UGH.

They looked awful. Not only were they mishapen because the dough stuck to the counter so bad when I tried to transfer them to the baking sheet but they were also dense and flat.
I took them out of the oven and threw them down on the counter and walked away. I didn't want to think about the time and effort I'd just wasted. I didn't even bother to make the icing that was supposed to go on top.

I came downstairs later to discover that BD had been sampling the defective goods.

I told him about the mistake and asked him what he thought. He said, "Well, they were kinda shaped like cow patties, but they tasted good. I'd say it was almost a success."

I think next time I'll just leave the cinnamon roll baking to Cinnabon.

1 comment:

Mary Frances said...

I have never even attempted cinnamon rolls, so you are still one step ahead of me! And I'm sure that, second rising or not, they tasted delicious (I mean, yeasty bread, butter, cinnamon, and sugar? YUM.).