Things were going well at first. The dough was easy enough to mix up, and it was rising as expected.
I mixed up the filling - brown sugar, cinnamon, and (lots of) butter.
This is where things started to go downhill. The dough was really sticky, so it kept sticking to the countertop as I tried to roll it up. I had rolled it out pretty thin, so the dough was tearing and filling was spilling out everywhere.
By the time I finally got it rolled up and cut out, I was so frustrated that I totally forgot that I was supposed to let the dough rise again!! I, of course, did not realize this until they had baked for 15 minutes. I turned on the oven light to check the progress, and they were not puffy at all. I just stared at them for a second trying to figure out what was the problem, and it suddenly dawned on me that I skipped the second rising completely. UGH.
They looked awful. Not only were they mishapen because the dough stuck to the counter so bad when I tried to transfer them to the baking sheet but they were also dense and flat.
I took them out of the oven and threw them down on the counter and walked away. I didn't want to think about the time and effort I'd just wasted. I didn't even bother to make the icing that was supposed to go on top.
I came downstairs later to discover that BD had been sampling the defective goods.