Monday, August 16, 2010

Channelling Fall

I generally don't have a favorite season of the year. I like all of them for different reasons; I don't really mind the heat of the summer or the cold of the winter (as long as the A/C or heater is working!). There are things about each season that I really like, so I always find myself looking forward to the upcoming season as the current season comes to a close. Around this time of year, I get excited about crisp fall weather, football season, cozy sweaters, and boots.

Although it's hot here right now, and will continue to be hot for at least the next 6 weeks, I decided to get a jump on the season with a fall-inspired meal.

The entree was beef stew in the crock pot, with potatoes, carrots, and onions. I got this recipe from the Kraft foods site. I love their "1 Bag, 5 Dinners" feature; it usually has easy, flavorful meals that don't take hours to prepare.

Beef and veggies, along with some beef broth, oregano, italian dressing, and BBQ sauce for flavors, all went into the crock pot for about 8 hours.

10am


2pm - about halfway done


6pm - ready to eat!


We strained out the meat and veggies, then added some flour and water to thicken up the gravy a bit and served it over white rice.



For dessert, I made an apple crisp. I have always had an aversion to hot fruit (in pies, cobblers, etc), but I have seen the light with this recipe. It was so, so good.



Kip loves apples, so he stood right under our feet and drooled waited patiently while we peeled and sliced apples. Can't you just see his little brain going "DropTheAppleDropTheAppleDropTheApple" in this picture?!


The apples get tossed with brown sugar and cinnamon,

then topped with more brown sugar and cinnamon, oatmeal, butter, and crushed Nilla wafers.
It gets baked at 350 for 30 minutes. I ate this with vanilla ice cream; BD also topped his with Cool Whip. It was the perfect almost-fall dessert!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I'm drooling... seriously, that looks so good. I'm salivating at my desk!!!