Monday, July 12, 2010

Hello, Dolly

The "To Cook" folder in my inbox, where I save all the recipes I want to try, has gotten really long during the last two years. Grad school devoured all my free time, so I just kept stockpiling ideas in that folder. Now that I've finally been released from the grad school time suck, I've been reading through the choices trying to decide what to bake first. I came up with a list of 5 recipes and let BD select the first contender. He chose Hello Dollies.

Unfortunately, when I saved these recipes, I did not do a good job of keeping up with which site they came from, so I cannot give proper credit on most of them. Just know that almost no food item you see on this site is original to me, and I can email you a full recipe if you're interested.

Also, I should go ahead and give my standard disclaimer about my lack of photography skills -- even the new camera couldn't help with that!

The Hello Dollies were really simple to make. I ran honey graham crackers through the food processor then mixed with melted butter for the crust.



Then I layered semi-sweet chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, coconut flakes, chopped pecans, and topped everything with sweetened condensed milk.


After baking in the oven for 25 minutes, they came out similar to a cookie bar with a delicious, gooey layer on top.



2 comments:

Mary Frances said...

LA, I'm so glad you de-lurked! Thanks so much for the thoughtful comment - it means a lot. Also, um, I TOTALLY understand what a time-sucker grad school can be - I'm glad you're getting a chance to have some fun now! I look forward to reading more about you and yours (and your baking - this looks amaaaazing!).

teg said...

I have been seriously avoiding sugar lately, but that looks DELICIOUS!!! One piece of that would totally tank my sugar ban, but it might just be worth it :)
When I was in grad school I also had up to four jobs at all times. It was horrible, so I know how amazing it is to have free time! Enjoy the summer and give Kip a belly rub for me.