Saturday, July 17, 2010

Banana Pudding Pie

Can you believe that I've never made banana pudding?! It's like the quintessential summer dessert, and I've never even attempted it! I've been craving it lately but had no real intention of making it until I ran across a recipe I'd torn out of a Southern Living magazine. I have no idea how long it's been hiding in my recipe binder, but I figured it was about time to try it out.

It is not too different from a standard banana pudding recipe -- just basically banana pudding in a pie shell. The recipe only called for 8 ingredients: sugar, flour, milk, eggs, butter, vanilla extract, Nilla wafers, and bananas.

[Mildly interesting side note: Nilla wafers are one of the few things that I don't buy in reduced fat version. The reduced fat ones are just not as good!]



This recipe uses an entire box of Nilla wafers. Do yourself and favor and do not look at the nutritional info on the box.


BD informed me that we have a bigger food processor in the pantry. I had completely forgotten about it! This little one doesn't hold much at a time but is so convenient, I just decided to keep using it.

The Nilla crumbs and melted butter makes up the crust which is then baked in the oven.



The recipe only calls for 2 bananas! I figured banana pudding would use a whole bunch of bananas.




Another first: homemade pudding. It was surprisingly simple!




The pudding goes on top of the bananas. There is also a layer of Nilla wafers in there, but I forgot to get a picture of that.



Making the meringue to go on top. I used to be really intimidated by meringue, but I think I've got the hang of it now. (Those are probably famous last words.)



Stiff peaks!


Assembled but unbaked pie...



Baked and nicely browned. Now the hard part begins -- it has to cool and then refrigerate for 4 hours before you can eat it!



After it's cooled, I topped with coarsely crushed Nillas.


And then it was finally ready to eat! You can see the layer of Nilla wafers here. YUM! It did not last long.



No comments: