Monday, February 22, 2010

Taco Salad

Taco salad makes a quick and easy weeknight supper on a regular basis for us. My favorite part is the tortilla shells to hold the salad that, until recently, I could only get at a restaurant.

I wanted to be able to make the shells at home, so I just decided to give it a try. The first attempt I was flying by the seat of my pants, but it actually turned out pretty well!

I started with 9" flour tortillas and small cereal bowls. I tried two different style bowls because I wasn't sure which would work better - and it turned out that the shallower of the two worked better for me.

To make the tortilla crispy without having to fry it, I coated one side with cooking spray and put it (sprayed side up) in the bowl. I used the tin foil balls so it would hold its shape; this may not be necessary.



I just watched them in the oven until the edges started to brown, about 15 minutes at 325 degrees.



They worked perfectly to hold our taco salad! Our favorite taco salad ingredients include ground beef, black beans, corn, rice, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, taco sauce, and sour cream.


3 comments:

Holly said...

wow, that looks great! i never thought of doing that. putting that on my list for this week!

Tracy said...

Oh that looks good! I will have to try that!

L and C said...

Brilliant! We love taco salads here also but have been eating them on a bed of tortilla chips which is messy. Thanks for the awesome idea!