Monday, February 8, 2010

Super Food for the Super Bowl

Who dat say they can beat 'dem Saints!! Whoo-hooo! What an awesome game! I certainly never thought I'd see the Saints win a Super Bowl in my lifetime!

So, since we couldn't be at the actual game, I decided to make stadium food to make us feel like we were part of the action.

The menu included pulled pork sandwiches and soft pretzels. Which was sure to be interesting, seeing as how I've never made any type of barbeque before.

I started with a pork sirloin roast.



I put it in the slow cooker with sweet onions, garlic, and root beer.


And let it cook for about 7 hours. BD likes to be all up in the middle of the crock pot. As I was putting it together early in the day, he reminded me that "slow cookers work best if you just let it sit and cook." Thank you, Captain Obvious. Then I caught him 3 or 4 times with the lid off and poking around in there. I finally had to threaten him with a wooden spoon to make him leave it alone.


It literally fell apart when BD took it out of the cooker - it practically shredded itself.


I also made homemade barbeque sauce, but it was gross. It was way, way too sweet. I'm not sure where I went wrong. I think I used too much brown sugar. Ahhh, well -- I guess that's why they make bottled sauce, right?


I should've known it wasn't going to be good - I let the pot of barbeque sauce boil over on the stove. So not only was it gross, but I also had a big mess to clean up.

When it was all said and done, we had some delicious barbeque sandwiches during the game. And, since I used a 3+ pound roast, we have several days of leftovers in front of us. Turns out I'm not so good at estimating how much meat I need for two people!


I also made soft pretzels. I topped them with cinnamon and sugar, so we ate them for dessert. I used the Alton Brown recipe which I've used before.

The pretzels are fairly easy to make and are delicious. I had baked them earlier in the day, so when we got ready to eat them after supper, I just popped them in the micro to warm. I brushed on a bit of melted butter and sprinkled with ground cinnamon and sugar.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Your dog is super cute! I love my slow cooker. I have a bunch of healthy slow cooker recipes that I post on my blog if you're interested.