Thursday, February 11, 2010

Pecan Pralines: FAIL

First things first: y'all do this Southern girl a favor and pronounce the title of this post correctly...it's puh-KAHN PRAH-leens, not PEE-can PRAY-leens.

Okay, moving on...

Since I usually share my baking successes with you, I figured I might as well showcase my baking failures as well...

Over the Christmas holidays I acquired the recipe for Pecan Pralines from BD's step-dad's sister -- her yummy, delicious, creamy pecan pralines.

And I promptly turned them into chewy, gummy lumps with pecans. UGH.

I'm not sure where I got off track.

Ignoring the stack of junk mail in the background of this photo, you can see I started with the right ingredients...


Melted everything (except pecans) in a heavy saucepan...



Brought it to a boil at 240 degrees...



And, finally, poured them onto wax paper to cool.


They were shiny instead of creamy; chewy instead of melty and stuck to the wax paper. It was all-in-all a dismal failure.


I'll be back for round 2, pralines. You may have won round 1, but I don't give up easily. However, if I waste another cup of my Louisiana pecans on you, it's going to be war.

No comments: