Friday, January 8, 2010

Kip's Tale: Recovery, Day 8

It has been exactly one week since we brought Kip home, so today is 8 days from the actual surgery. He is doing pretty good. He's not putting any weight on the leg, but it's still a bit early to be expecting that. He is starting to toe-touch for balance when he's standing still. We're down to pain meds every 12 hours, and he seems to be feeling fine.

We still haven't figured out how to prevent him from licking the incision so we can both leave the house at the same time. We have the soft e-collar but he hates it with the fire of a thousand suns, and he can't drink water or move around very well when it's on him.

Plus, he kinda looks like that spitty dinosaur from Jurassic Park when he's wearing it.

Kip says, "What did I do to deserve this."

We did try one of the inflatable collars that are supposed to be more comfortable than the e-collar. He is able to move around better with it on. But it took him about 5 minutes to contort his slinky spine and crane that long neck around and begin licking like there wasn't a swim ring wrapped around his neck.

BD and I took turns working from home each day this week so we could be here to keep an eye on him. This was the view from the webcam on my laptop most days.

Other than that, we've just been trying to keep him calm. By his demeanor, you'd never know that he had major surgery a week ago. His biggest complaint is that we won't let him climb up on the furniture to get to his favorite spot on the couch. We have to flip up the couch cushions the minute we get up because he makes a bee-line for any unoccupied spot.

In the meantime, he tries to get as close to on the couch as possible.

Here is the incision on Day 7. It has started to scab up, and the bruising and swelling looks much better. He goes back next Thursday to have the staples removed.


Peggy said...

I LOVE the picture of Kip compared to the dinosaur picture!!! That is great!!

Pickles and Dimes said...

Kip vs. the dinosaur = totally freaking hilarious!

I hope he continues to get well and that darn collar can come off. He's such a good boy.

L and C said...

I called the house and talked to BD on Thursday to get an update on the patient. Hopefully once the staples are removed next week and the licking temptation is gone, the worst part will be over. Glad to see he continues to improve -- don't forget to take care of yourself with your new schedule starting.

teg said...

OH NO! He must be supergumby to get around that inflatable ecollar - unless you bought a size too small. Bailey could in NO WAY get around it.
Love the spitty dinosaur comment - genius.

fairydogmother said...

Aw, what a sweetie. Our dog has managed to figure his way around every collar we've ever tried putting on him, unless we combine it with a small dose of ace. Fortunately he has learned the command "stop" so that is what we use to keep him from rubbing his face/eye. Like you, we've found that we need to schedule our days so someone is always home with him for now though. Hope your pup is back to 100% soon!