Sunday, January 3, 2010

Kip's Tale: Recovery, day 3

Well, it has been a long weekend of constant dog-sitting, but our patient is doing okay for his 3rd day of recovery.

We are supposed to put a cold compress on his knee for 20 minutes every 4-6 hours. Raise your hand if you think this is easy to do with an 80-lb dog. *crickets chirping* That's what I thought.

The first attempt lasted about 7 wrestle-filled minutes. BD is in charge of ice pack time. He has since perfected the technique and has been more and more successful each time.


Our main concern right now is preventing him from licking and chewing at the incision site. We have a soft e-collar (aka the Cone of Shame) to help. I put it on him this morning when I got frustrated after the 10th time of making him stop licking in 5 minutes. Needless to say he is not very happy about it, but he tolerated it. I have never seen a dog groom himself as much as Kip does. I think he must be half cat.

I put it on him again while we went to the grocery store today and by the time we got home it was still on but completely flipped backwards. I have no idea how he'll do while we're at work. It doesn't seem sturdy enough to last if he really decides he wants it off his head.


1 comment:

teg said...

If Kip really hates the e-collar, you can try one of those inflatable donut things they sell at Petco. I got one for Bailey and he preferred it a LOT over the traditional e-collar. Hope he's feeling better!