Thursday, January 14, 2010

Cookie Trials

I have been looking for the 'perfect' chocolate chip cookie recipe. You'd think that chocolate chip cookie recipes are pretty standard, right? Well, you'd be wrong, my friend.


(Award Winning Soft Chocolate Chip Cookie - AllRecipes.com)

I decided that the only way to determine the best recipe was to conduct a blinded cookie trial. That's right...I'm that dorky.

I started with 5 recipes. BD was my blinded taster, but I needed him to help make the cookies, so I copied the recipes into a text file to strip out any identifing graphics and labeled each recipe with a number.

(Chocolate Chip Cookies - Gourmet, October 2003)

I made one dozen cookies from each recipe, following the recipe exactly. To complete the trial we used a total of 9 sticks of butter, 10 eggs, 6 cups of brown sugar, 3 cups of white sugar, 11 cups of all-purpose flour, 7 teaspoons of vanilla extract, and 10 bags (20 cups) of dark chocolate chips.

(The Chewy - Alton Brown, FoodNetwork.com)

BD tasted the cookies while they were warm and fresh from the oven. He made notes on the big 3 features: chewyness, chocolatey-goodness, and prettyness.

(Chocolate Chip Cookies - JoyOfBaking.com)

We narrowed it down to the top 3 and then tasted them the next day to determine the ultimate winner.

And, the LA&BD award for best chocolate chip cookie goes to...*drumroll, please*

The Neiman Marcus chocolate chip cookie recipe!

Rounding out the top 3 were the recipe from Gourmet and the recipe from All Recipes.

5 comments:

Tracy said...

Oh! You are not dorky! You won't believe this, but I have been trying to get a perfect chocolate chip recipe too! Yay! You saved me a lot of time (and ingredients). I will be making the number one choice this weekend!

Carla said...

Fun! You've got to do a rematch with my favorites, the NYTimes recipe. You let the dough sit in the fridge for 2 or 3 days to develop flavor, and they have tiny sprinkle of sea salt (optional) before being baked for a salty sweet taste. Mmmmm.

Carla said...

Forgot the link.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/09/dining/091crex.html

Pickles and Dimes said...

This is awesome on so many levels. Love it!

clueless but hopeful mama said...

(Thanks for delurking on my blog yesterday!)

I'm going to totally make those cookies today. I've been drooling while reading the post!