Sunday, November 22, 2009

Sunday Stitches: Simple

I started and finished this quick piece over the weekend (a lot of sports on TV = plenty of time for me to stitch). This is a Lizzie Kate design, stitched on 28ct lambswool linen with overdyed thread.



These days when we see this phrase plastered on everything from picture frames to coffee mugs, blog titles *ahem*, and bumper stickers, it becomes just another over-used cliche. But, for me, the simplicity of the message still rings true. It's a scary world out there, and there are a thousand bad things that can happen every day. I have a tendency to worry about things that are beyond my control; I let the "what if's" and the "why me's" take over; I focus on the negative. This simple phrase centers me. It helps me find my footing in an uncertain world and reminds me of what's real, what's important.
So, I stitched it. I'm going to finish it with a patterned mat and a funky frame and hang it where I'll see it often -- to remind myself that it really is that simple.

No comments: