Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Don't Try This at Home

Over the weekend, BD painted our stairway/hallway. After 5 years of living in this house, every other room has been painted (some more than once!), but the stairway still had the original, sloppy paint job from the builder. It was a weird greyish-white color, and it was really beginning to look scuffed up and dirty.

Painting is one of the few home improvement projects that I am actually helpful when participating, so I was all gung-ho to help out with this one. However, it dawned on me that 3 of the walls to be painted are 2-stories high which meant lots of precarious walkboards and dangling over the banister (see Exhibits A and B). Let's face it...someone had to be available for the very-possible need to drive BD to the ER.

Exhibit A: Walkboards







Exhibit B: Dangling




Exhibit C: Job Foreman

To his credit, the homemade scaffolding worked perfectly, and we didn't have to give any of our hard-earned money to Durham Regional for stitches or bone-setting. (Although it was touch-and-go there for a minute later in the weekend when he managed to bash himself in the head with the hummingbird feeder. I'm telling you...I can't leave him unsupervised for one minute!)

The walls look great. I didn't take an 'after' shot because it is painted such a neutral color that it doesn't come across in the pictures. It is painted Behr 'Cottage White' if you're curious - a warm, creamy white.

Kip, wondering what in tarnation we're up to this time. (In my imagination he uses words like 'tarnation' or 'by golly' all the time.)


4 comments:

Liz and Chad said...

Congrats on an injury-free three day weekend! BD, I had faith in you (there were no chairs involved).

Sagebrushy said...

Oy. I am not usually scared of heights, but that would make me NERVOUS. Looks good! - Artemisia

Alice said...

wow... i feel like i'm pretty not-timid when it comes to climbing around for home improvement projects, like getting on roofs and stuff? but that looks precarious and scary! glad you're all ok ;-)

teg said...

Nice job! I have a forever growing home improvement list of my own that I plan to tackle very soon. There will be painting, but hopefully not from a ladder/plywood platform!