Saturday, February 7, 2009

Spring Mantel Decoration: Yes or No?

The design schema at my house is generally Design by Accident - Sometimes It Works, Sometimes It Doesn't.

Here is my attempt at spring season decorations for the fireplace mantel. What do you think?



And what do I put on the other side? Another of the same thing? Something different? Scrap the whole thing and start over?

Here is a close-up of the arrangement. The colors are lime green, white, and pink.

I have a cool relatively un-lame lime green vase that I was going to try on the other side, but I can't find it. (Aside: How do I lose things in this tiny house?? I am usually the Finder of All Things Lost around here, but I've searched and can't find it. I might have to enlist BD's help.) I'm not sure if the vase is even tall enough anyway. I also have some dark wooden pillar candle holders that I could use.

Leave me a comment and tell me what you think.


**Edited to Add: I asked BD if he knew where the vase and candle holders were. Sheesh. I mean, you'd think the guy would put them in a BOX or LABEL THEM CLEARY or something. How am I expected to find anything around here??
Here's the addition of the vase and candle holders. I'm thinking I need lighter colored candle holders (and some candles to go on them, obv)?
Do you like any of this? Let me hear your opinions.

8 comments:

Holly said...

Yeah, I think it will look good with the candles.

Liz said...

I think it looks great! I mean, yes, you do need light-colored candles, but I even like how dark the holders are. A lovely accident-- I vote yes.

Fine For Now said...

I really like the added vase next to the spring arrangement!

Can't wait to see the candles in place. It looks really good!

I love your fireplace :)

Pickles and Dimes said...

I am a huge fan of symmetry, so I really love the candle holders on the right. I like them empty, but it will be interesting to see candles in them as well.

RA said...

Hi, LA!

I tried to respond to your comment at my site via e-mail, but I got a bounceback on the address. :(

Anyway, tech communications is a great suggestion for a degree; I'll have to look into that. I think I investigated it earlier, but it doesn't show up on my spreadsheet (ahem), so I will need to revisit that. Yes, I am a technical writer, sort of. I do more editing than actual writing; I work for a pediatric research hospital, and I mostly edit manuscripts to fit medical journal guidelines on the way to submission. I think I'd like pharmaceutical or regulatory writing, but I don't know. Hello, wasn't college supposed to figure this out for me? :)

And as for the home decor ... I am totally clueless. Sorry about that.

Alice said...

i love it! i love that it's symmetrical in that there are things on both sides, but not at all mirrored - i think it's much more visually interesting. i also like the dark candlesticks - they match the frame of the mirror and are a good pop of color for that side.

LoriD said...

I thought you had a picture of a ceiling fan. Hee. I like the arrangement in that last picture - it looks full without looking junky.

Mama said...

I like it too with the additions. I think at least one of the candles should be lime green and maybe other shades of green. That would balance the other side.