There are some bare patches in the yard where the grass wasn't growing well, so we decided to tackle those first. BD tilled up and degrassed the areas, and I spread grass seed.
Then we covered the seed with a fresh layer of top soil for nutrients and a layer of wheat straw to keep the birds from eating the seed. Hopefully in a few weeks we'll have some new, healthy grass in those spots.
Here is a shot of the flower bed we built back in May - everything is doing really well. The rose bushes have grown about a foot and are always covered in blooms. I am guessing they will probably start to drop their leaves as soon as we have the first frost.
I got out my fall garden flag. You can also see a few of the pansies we planted last weekend. And I just realized I need to trim back those boxwood bushes!
I used some of the leftover wheat straw to stage the decorations on the front porch. I would like to have a scarecrow to stand up in the corner to the right of the door, but I can't find one I like. (And it's too much work to make one!)
Those are artificial pumpkins that BD and I painted a couple of years ago. The little signs say "EEK a spider" and "BOO to you".
This one is a skeleton with a (foam) bat on top.