Wednesday, September 3, 2008

well, it IS called Labor Day...

BD and I like to take things literally, so for Labor Day 2008, we labored. And by "we" I mean "I stood around and watched BD do all the hard stuff and then I helped with the easy stuff."

We replaced the door from the house to the garage! I don't have a picture of the old one, but it was just a plain metal exterior door with no windows. Kinda like this, except with a door knob and all:

We like to leave the garage door up when we're home, so I decided a door to the house with windows in it would let more light into the laundry/kitchen area.

In my brain, of course, replacing a door sounds so simple. I mean, there's already a door there, right? Just pop it out and put in the new one -- what's so hard about that? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...this is why BD's head explodes when I start talking about home improvement projects. He always tries to tell me that it's more work than it looks but I'm always all "what's the big deal? it'll be fiiiiiiine - trust me, easy-peasy." And, it always turns out that he was right. But he's so HANDY and he can do all this cool stuff to our house, it would be like I was doing a disservice to our house to not take advantage of him his skills! (Head explosion in 3, 2, 1...)

First the old door had to be removed (frame and all) and the new door had to be prepped.


Here's where my "helping" came into play -- I did the caulk! (I also swept up all the old nails and sheetrock debris.)

Then, after a bunch of stuff that I didn't take pictures of (I was holding the door in place! No hands for the camera! See...helping!), the new door was in place! It still needs a deadbolt and new trim put up, and some finishing touches, but it's in and functioning! YAY!

One family member in particular is very excited about being able to keep an eye on things through the new door.

1 comment:

Alice said...

hah! i KNEW it was important to marry someone handy! i'm, like, intro-level handy. i need someone BD-handy whenever i have a house!