Monday, June 23, 2008

Two Cooks in the Kitchen

BD and I spend the majority of our free time with each other and enjoy doing a variety of things together. However, cooking is not one of the things we can share - anytime we try it, it almost always ends in an argument. We both have our own ways of doing things in the kitchen and it works just fine for each of us, I-don't-need-you-to-tell-me-how-to-do-it-thankyouverymuch.

The division of labor at our house is usually that he does the daily cooking, and I clean up after the meal. I like to bake, so I take on most of the dessert-y/bread-ish type stuff, and he happily eats most everything I bake. Somehow, I still end up doing the dishes when I bake. *ahem* But I digress.

One of the baking basics I had never tackled was making a meringue for a pie. Usually, if the recipe calls for meringue, I slap some Cool-Whip on top and call it a day. I don't know why I've never tried to make it; the process seems so simple - throw some egg whites in a bowl and beat - but I didn't know stiff peaks from soft peaks, when to add the sugar, etc. BD has successfully made meringues in the past, so in the name of marital partnership, I invited him into the kitchen to give me a lesson. And then we got a divorce. The end.

KIDDING! I'm just kidding. After a few dirty looks adjustments, everything worked out just fine, and the pie (and our kitchen sharing) was a complete success.

Behold, a homemade chocolate pie with meringue:


We might not share a kitchen well, but we have no problems sharing dessert - we ate half of the pie on the same day we made it! My food photography skills leave a lot to be desired, so you'll just have to take my word that it is more delicious than it looks in these pictures.

2 comments:

Pickles & Dimes said...

"And then we got a divorce. The end."

HAHAHAHHAHA. That is Jason and I: in the kitchen, hanging pictures, or installing anything technical (like our DVR).

That pie looks delicious! Great job!

Alice said...

ooohhh! the knowing-what-a-hard-peak-is bit has always scared me off of meringues as well. that one looks TASTAY, though!