Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Best Ever Chicken Salad

This is the perfect recipe for a light but filling summer meal. Best of all, it's quick and easy to throw together, and it makes a lot. This recipe is courtesy of my mom - originally from a Southern Living magazine many years ago, I think.

Ingredients:
-5 cups chopped, cooked chicken
-2 Tbsp salad oil
-2 Tbsp orange juice
-2 Tbsp white vinegar
-1 tsp salt
-3 cups cooked rice
-1 1/2 cups small, seedless grapes
-1 1/2 cups sliced celery
-1 (15 oz) can pineapple chunks, drained
-1 (11 oz) can mandarin oranges, drained
-1 cup toasted, slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup mayo


Directions:
Combine first five ingredients in a large bowl; let stand 30 min to allow flavors to blend. Add remaining ingredients and toss gently. Serve immediately or let cool in fridge. Store covered in fridge; makes 10-12 servings.




Notes:
I have no idea what "salad oil" is - I just use extra virgin olive oil. And, unless I happen to have orange juice or an orange on hand, I just use 2T of the juice from the can of mandarin oranges. I like to make this salad to bring for lunch at work, and I make it the night before, so I don't bother with the 30-minute flavor blending part - I figure it will blend in the fridge overnight. Also, I don't put in the almonds.

No comments: