Tuesday, November 13, 2007

File this under "Terrible Parents" and also "Why We Don't Have Kids"

We gave Kip a bath on Sunday and broke his tail! He was perfectly fine after the bath, but he woke us up during the night on Sunday and was very restless and obviously uncomfortable. His tail was just hanging straight down but not tucked between his legs. He also wouldn't sit straight down but would tilt over on one hip. Figuring his hip was hurting, we put him through a full series of range of motion movements like they do at the vet, and he didn't make a peep. He let me feel all down the length of his tail, but when I tried to lift it back into it's normal position he whipped around and nipped at me. So, I did what any good mother would do...I googled the symptoms. Turns out, it's actually a fairly common ailment with sporting dogs called "limp tail" or "cold water tail", and it should resolve itself in a couple of days (check the link for more details). We are expecting PETA to bring us the Pet Owner of the Year award at any moment.


(Edited to add: When I got home today, I actually had mail from PETA! One of those "please send us money so here's some free address labels" things. I have no idea how I've gotten on their mailing list - I've never gotten anything from them before! HAHAHA - if they only knew those address labels were delivered to a house where a dog has been subjected to "cold water tail"!)

No comments: