Sunday, October 21, 2007

I don't cook...

but I do like to bake. (My sister always puts pictures of her fancy fixins on her blog, so in honor of going to visit at her house next weekend, I'll do the same.) This weekend I made Hawaiian bread. I had some disasterous results earlier this year trying to make a King cake for Mardi Gras. I finally (after 3 or 4 failed attempts) figured out that I had the water too hot and was actually killing the yeast, therefore my King cake was turning out more like King crackers. The Hawaiian bread is my first attempt at a yeast-requiring recipe since then, and even if I say so myself, it turned out well.

After the dough had risen for 2 hours, I punched it down and formed my loaf - and 8 rolls with the extra.
After it had risen again and doubled in size, I brushed an egg wash over the top and covered with granulated sugar.

Then it baked in the oven for 30 minutes. The resident food critic proclaimed it "slightly sweet with a hint of pineapple - very good". Here is the finished product:
Luckily for me, I have a husband who likes to cook. Tonight he did "Tangy Brisket" in the crock-pot. The meat cooks about 8 hours in a ketchup, terakyi sauce, ginger ale mixture. And he adds veggies - potatoes, carrots and onions - at some point in the process.

Served with a tossed green salad and "snowflake" rolls (not the same ones I made, I just buy these from the bakery). And, of course, a glass of sweet tea!


*Disclaimer: The recipe in the link is not the exact one I used, but it is very close. I got mine from a magazine and couldn't find it online.

No comments: